Gut-Healing Chicken & Vegetable Soup
Updated: Jun 16
This soup is a complete low-carbohydrate meal, ideal for Stage 1. It contains protein, fat and non-starchy vegetables and includes gut-healing bone broth.
Bone broth contains a range of nutrients and is high in the amino acids, glutamine, glycine and proline. Glutamine provides energy to the cells that line the gut wall, while glycine and proline have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. Combined, these amino acids help to regenerate and heal the lining of the gut wall.
This recipe can be modified in Stage 2 by adding some carbohydrates such as lentils, pumpkin or peas. You can also swap the chicken for tofu to make a vegetarian or vegan option.
Makes 5 servings, each serving equals 2 cups. You can make larger batches and freeze in 2-cup portions for up to 3 months.
50mls extra-virgin olive oil.
500g skinless chicken breast or tofu cut into small chunks.
1 large red or white onion, diced
1 leek, sliced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup diced celery
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 small red capsicum, diced
1 small green capsicum, diced
1 cup red or white cabbage, shredded
1 medium zucchini, diced
5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
8 cups of bone broth - see the bone broth recipe
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup finely chopped mixed fresh herbs or dried herbs such as:
Parsley, dill, thyme and/or rosemary for a basic soup
Basil, oregano and fennel for Italian flavours
Ginger, turmeric, coriander or curry leaves for Indian flavours
1. Heat oil in a large pot until simmering. Add chicken and cook until the chicken is opaque throughout.
2. Add garlic, onion, leek, celery, carrot and salt and cook until the vegetables are starting to brown.
3. Add remaining vegetables and herbs and stir well until the spices are fragrant.
4. Add water and collagen powder, cover with lid and bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the chicken is soft and flaky.
5. Serve alone in Stage 1 or with grain-free bread in Stage 2. (Recipe in Program Manual)
*You can swap bone broth, for 8 cups of water with 2-3 tablespoons of Collagen powder.
Just a note that collagen powder is not suitable for vegetarian or vegan diets as it is made from beef. Ground flaxseeds can be used as an alternative – they contain anti-inflammatory properties and can thicken the soup, therefore providing a